This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1991
AN ACT TO AMEND THE MEMORIAL
(Assented to December 11, 1991)
1. Ss. Added
2. 1990 c.26 Amdt.
3. 1981 c.5 Amdt.
4. 1984 c.84 Amdt.
5. 1987 c.16 Rep.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
RSN 1970 c.231
1. The Memorial University Act is amended by adding after section 69 the following:
Institute of Fisheries & Marine Technology
70. (1) The university is the successor in law to the Newfoundland and Labrador Institute of Fisheries and Marine Technology established by The Marine Institute Act.
(2) Upon the commencement of this section, the Newfoundland and Labrador Institute of Fisheries and Marine Technology shall become the Fisheries and Marine Institute of the Memorial University of Newfoundland.
(3) Title to all the property and assets of the Newfoundland and Labrador Institute of Fisheries and Marine Technology is vested in the university.
(4) The university is charged with and assumes all of the obligations and liabilities of the Newfoundland and Labrador Institute of Fisheries and Marine Technology.
(5) The university shall, through the Fisheries and Marine Institute established under this section and in accordance with the direction of the board and the senate,
(a) provide degree, diploma, certificate and other programs in the areas of fisheries and marine science and technology;
(b) provide for the upgrading and enhancement of the fisheries and marine labour force, in cooperation with the colleges established or continued under the Colleges Act, 1991;
(c) provide for the sharing of facilities between the Fisheries and Marine Institute, the university and the various colleges established or continued under the Colleges Act, 1991; and
(d) provide for applied research and technology transfer.
71. (1) The board shall establish an industry based advisory committee to advise the Fisheries and Marine Institute respecting fisheries and marine related programs offered at the Fisheries and Marine Institute.
(2) The board shall appoint to the advisory committee established under subsection (1) not less than 11 nor more than 15 members to consist of
(a) the Deputy Minister of Fisheries or the representative of the deputy minister;
(b) a full-time student at the Fisheries and Marine Institute;
(c) a representative of the administration of the Fisheries and Marine Institute;
(d) 8 persons from the fishing and marine industries or related organizations; and
(e) those other persons that the board may determine.
(3) The board shall designate 1 of the members appointed under subsection (2) as chairperson of the advisory committee and another member as vice-chairperson of the advisory committee.
(4) The board shall establish the terms of appointment of members of the advisory committee so that there is a continuity in membership of the advisory committee.
2. (1) Subparagraph 7(a)(ii) of The Department of Education Act, 1990 is repealed.
(2) Item 14 of Schedule A to the Act is repealed.
(3) Item 7 of Schedule B to the Act is repealed.
3. The Schedule to The Freedom of Information Act is amended by striking out the words "The Institute of Fisheries and Marine Technology".
4. The Schedule to The Public Tender Act, 1984 is amended by striking out the words "Board of Governors of the College of Fisheries, Navigation, Marine Engineering and Electronics" and "Board of Governors of the College of Trades and Technology".
5. The Provincial Institutes Act is repealed.
6. This Act comes into force on a day to be proclaimed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer