This is an official version.
Copyright © 2009: Queen's Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2009
TO AMEND THE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ACCOUNTABILITY, INTEGRITY
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
SNL2007 cH-10.1 as amended
1. Subsection 11(1) of the House of Assembly Accountability, Integrity and Administration Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Salaries, expenses, severance and pensions
11. (1) A member is entitled to be paid an annual salary of $95,357 payable in 26 equal instalments, in arrears.
2. Subsection 12(1) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
12. (1) A member who also holds one of the following positions shall be paid an additional salary as follows:
(a) speaker, $54,072;
(b) deputy speaker and chair of committees, $27,033;
(c) deputy chair of committees, $13,517;
(d) leader of the opposition, $54,072;
(e) opposition house leader, $27,033;
(f) deputy opposition house leader, $18,457;
(g) leader of a third party, $18,918;
(h) party whip, $13,517;
(i) caucus chairperson, $13,517;
(j) chairperson, public accounts committee, $13,517; and
(k) vice chairperson, public accounts committee, $10,333.
3. Subsections 15(2) and (3) of the Act are repealed and the following substituted:
(2) The salary of a member under subsection 11(1)
and the salaries for positions referred to in subsection 12(1) shall not be
adjusted except in accordance with recommendations of the first members compensation review committee appointed after
(3) The appropriateness and the manner of providing for periodic increases for members salaries during the period between the appointments of subsequent members compensation review committees shall be dealt with by those committees.
4. The Act is amended by adding immediately after section 15 the following:
Automobile use reimbursement
15.1 (1) Notwithstanding subsection 15(1), the commission may make rules and directives to entitle the speaker, leader of the opposition and leader of a third party to be paid an allowance or expense amount for automobile use related to duties and obligations of their offices upon terms and conditions that the commission may establish.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection 15(1) and subsection
(1), an automobile use allowance and expense regime approved by the commission
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2), commencing on April 1, 2009, where the speaker, leader of the opposition and leader of a third party receives an automobile use allowance related to the duties of his or her office, he or she is not entitled to be reimbursed mileage expenses for automobile travel related to constituency business or to duties and obligations of the offices of the speaker, leader of the opposition and leader of a third party.
(4) Subsection (1) shall be considered to have
come into force on
5. Section 16 of the Act is amended by adding immediately after subsection (1) the following:
(1.1) The members compensation review committee first appointed under subsection (1) during the Forty-Seventh General Assembly shall be appointed not more than 6 months after the election of members to that General Assembly.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer