This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1996
Decommissioning of the
(Filed January 17, 1996)
Under the authority of section 32 of the Environmental Assessment Act, the Minister of Environment and Labour, with the approval of the Lieutenant‑Governor in Council, makes the following Order.
1. Short title
2. Final decommissioning permitted
1. This Order may be cited as the Final Decommissioning of the Long Harbour Phosphorus Plant Order.
Final decommissioning permitted
2. (1) Albright and Wilson Americas,
(i) placement of mud from tanks in No. 1 Pond,
(ii) backfilling No. 1 Pond and mud holes with slag and debris,
(iii) treatment of displaced water, and
(iv) placement of an engineered cover over the pond and mud holes area;
(c) before finalizing plans for shoreline stabilization,
(d) a monitoring commission will be established by the Minister of Environment to oversee the implementation of the site decommissioning.
(2) The commission referred to in paragraph (1)(d) will be chaired by the Manager of Environmental Impact Management and will include
(a) regulators; and
(b) representatives of
(i) the Town of
(iii) other appropriate parties.
(3) Members of the commission will have the opportunity to express their views regarding aspects of monitoring programs and ongoing decommissioning activities, prior to decisions being made by government.
(4) Public stakeholders will not hold a vote, as decisions will be made by government, in accordance with existing legislation.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer