This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1996
of Environment and Labour Notice
(Filed July 10, 1996)
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department created
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Environment and Labour Notice.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Environment and Labour; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Environment and Labour.
3. (1) The department is created by Order in Council 96‑305 and is presided over by the minister.
(2) The department has 2 branches, as follows:
(a) Environment; and
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to
(a) the protection and enhancement of the quality of the natural environment, including water, air and soil quality;
(b) the conservation, development, control, improvement and proper utilization of the water resources of the province;
(c) the regulation of industrial relations, terms and conditions of employment, labour standards, conciliation and mediation of disputes, human rights, occupational health and safety, and worker's compensation; and
(d) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule, and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
1. Employers' Liability Act
2. Environment Act (with Government Services and Lands)
3. Environmental Assessment Act
4. Fishing Industry Collective Bargaining Act
5. Human Rights Code
6. Interns and Residents Collective Bargaining Act
7. Labour Relations Act
8. Labour Standards Act
9. Mines (with Mines and Energy)
10. Occupational Health and Safety Act
11. Packaging Material Act (with Government Services and Lands)
12. Pesticides Control Act (with Government Services and Lands)
13. Public Service Collective Bargaining Act
14. Radiation Health and Safety Act
15. Shops' Closing Act
16. Teachers' Collective Bargaining Act
17. Waste Material Disposal Act (with Government Services and Lands)
18. Well Drilling Act (with Government Services and Lands)
19. Workers' Compensation Act
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer