This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1996
of Health Notice
(Filed July 10, 1996)
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department structure confirmed
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Health Notice.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Health; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Health.
Department structure confirmed
3. (1) The structure of the department is confirmed by Order in Council 96‑310.
(2) The department has 3 branches, as follows:
(a) Support Services;
(b) Institutions; and
(c) Community Health.
(3) The department is presided over by the minister.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to
(a) preservation and promotion of health;
(b) prevention and control of disease;
(c) administration of hospitals, long term care facilities and personal care facilities;
(d) control, possession, handling, keeping and sale of foods and drugs;
(e) contracts, payments and remunerations for medical, dental, pharmaceutical, scientific, technical or other health services;
(f) public health and the enforcement of public health standards according to law;
(g) administration of a plan authorized by the Lieutenant‑Governor in Council for the assistance of students in a professional or technical field connected with health services; and
(h) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
1. Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation Act
2. Chiropractors Act
3. Communicable Diseases Act
4. Dental Act
5. Denturists Act
6. Dieticians Act
7. Dispensing Opticians Act
8. Embalmers and Funeral Directors Act
9. Emergency Medical Aid Act
10. Food and Drug Act (with Government Services and Lands)
11. Health Care Association Act
12. Health and Public Welfare Act (Except Part XII)
13. Hearing Aid Dealers Act
14. Homes for Special Care Act
15. Hospital Insurance Agreement Act
16. Hospitals Act
17. Human Tissue Act
18. Medical Act
19. Medical Care Insurance Act
20. Mental Health Act
21. Midwifery Act
22. Nursing Assistants Act
23. Occupational Therapists Act
24. Optometry Act
25. Pharmaceutical Association Act, 1994
26. Physiotherapy Act
27. Private Homes for Special Care Allowances Act
28. Psychologists Act
29. Public Health Act (with Government Services and Lands)
30. Registered Nurses Act
31. Smoke‑free Environment Act (with Government Services and Lands)
32. Tobacco Control Act (with Government Services and Lands)
33. Venereal Disease Prevention Act
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer