This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1997
Plebiscite on the Future of Education Order, 1997
(Filed August 1, 1997)
Under the authority of subsection 171(2) and section 175 of the Election Act, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council makes the following Order.
1. Short title
eligible to vote
4. Notice of poll
5. Sections excluded
6. Certificate of results
7. Counting of votes
1. This order may be cited as the Plebiscite on the Future of Education Order, 1997.
2. The chief electoral officer shall report the results of the poll for each electoral district and in the aggregate for the province.
Electors eligible to vote at any polling station in the province
3. Section 4 of the Act shall not apply and an elector who is otherwise qualified to vote and is absent from his or her electoral district on polling day or advance polling day, providing the elector is eligible to vote at an advance poll, may vote at any polling station in the province, where that elector first takes an oath or affirmation as in the appropriate form.
Notice of poll
4. The provisions in the Act regarding notice of the poll shall not apply, but the chief electoral officer shall provide for notice of the poll in the manner he considers most appropriate.
5. Subsection 79(8) and 95(2) and section 176 of the Act shall not apply.
Certificate of results
6. Where a judge certifies a result under subsection 95(1) of the Act, the returning officer shall make the statement and declaration in Forms 51 and 53, as modified by the chief electoral officer.
Counting of votes
7. Paragraphs 78(2)(b) and (c) of the Act shall not apply, and the following shall be substituted:
(b) which have not been marked with either "Yes" or "No"; or
(c) which have been marked both "Yes" and "No".
8. The ballot on which the plebiscite shall be conducted shall be in the following form and shall be marked "Ballot":
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer