This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1998
Peer Assessment Regulations
(Filed December 31, 1997)
Under the authority of paragraphs 13(q.1) and (q.2) of the Medical Act, the Newfoundland Medical Board with the approval of the Minister of Health makes the following regulations.
1. Short title
2. Appointments to committee
3. Subject matter of agreement
1. These regulations may be cited as the Peer Assessment Regulations.
Appointments to committee
2. (1) The board and the association shall each appoint one member to the peer assessment committee.
(2) Members of the peer assessment committee appointed by the board and the association shall be licensed under the Act to practice medicine in the province and shall be in good standing with the board.
(3) Members of the peer assessment committee shall be appointed for a term of 3 years and shall be eligible for consecutive reappointment, at the discretion of the board and the association for their respective appointees, for up to 2 additional terms.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3), the first member of the peer assessment committee appointed by the association shall be appointed for an initial term of 4 years.
(5) Where a member of the peer assessment committee appointed by the board or the association ceases to be a member of the peer assessment committee for any reason prior to the expiration of his or her term, the board or the association appointing the member shall as soon as practicable appoint a new appointee to complete the term of that member.
Subject matter of agreement
3. The peer assessment agreement shall provide that
(a) members of the peer assessment committee shall elect annually from among themselves a chairperson, and if the chairperson ceases to be the chairperson for any reason the members of the peer assessment committee shall elect from among themselves another chairperson to complete the annual term;
(b) the fiscal year of the peer assessment committee shall begin on January 1 of each year and end on December 31 in the same year;
(c) the peer assessment committee shall prepare an annual budget that shall be submitted for approval to the licensing authorities and medical societies at least 6 months prior to the commencement of the fiscal year to which the budget relates;
(d) the approved annual budget shall be appropriated from the licensing authorities and medical societies based on a formula as determined by the licensing authorities and medical societies from time to time;
(e) the peer assessment committee shall establish its own policy and procedure in conformity with the governing legislation authorizing the creation of the peer assessment committee, and may create those sub-committees as the peer assessment committee considers appropriate and delegate some or all of its power to a subcommittee;
(f) the peer assessment committee may hire an executive director and additional staff as the committee considers necessary; and
(g) 2 members of the peer assessment committee, or one member of the committee and the executive director, shall be authorized to execute all agreements, documents and instruments on behalf of the committee.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer