This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1998
(Filed June 12, 1998)
Under the authority of section 37 of the Environmental Assessment Act, I, with the approval of the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, make the following Order.
1. Short title
3. Terms and conditions of exemption
1. This Order may be cited as the
2. Aerial forest spray programs of the Department of Forest Resources and Agrifoods using the agent Bacillus thuringiensis (B.t.) against forest insect pests are exempted from the application of the Environmental Assessment Act.
Terms and conditions of exemption
3. (1) This exemption is granted on the basis that certain forest resource areas of Newfoundland and Labrador need to be afforded protection from insect pest infestation.
(2) B.t. is considered to be the insecticide of choice for this purpose as it has no significant toxic effect on non-target organisms and has demonstrated a reasonable level of efficacy.
(3) This exemption is subject to future review and revision upon the availability of new knowledge of the efficacy or effects of B.t.
(4) This program is subject to environmental and human health review through the licensing requirements outlined in the Pesticides Control Act, and the regulations made under that Act.
4. Maps detailing the areas to be treated with B.t. are available for viewing at reasonable times at the offices of the Department of Forest Resources and Agrifoods.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer