This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 1998
Workers’ Compensation Regulations (Amendment)
(Filed December 23, 1998)
Under the authority of section 40 of the Workers’ Compensation Act, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
& 15.2 Added
1. The Workers’ Compensation Regulations are amended by adding immediately after section 15 the following:
Volunteer ambulance service
15.1 On the application of a municipally-sponsored or independent community volunteer ambulance service certified under the Motor Carrier Act and regulations, the commission may apply the provisions of the Act in the manner set out in section 15.2.
When members are covered
15.2 (1) For the purpose of the Act, where the commission has admitted a volunteer ambulance service
(a) the members of that service who are designated by an official of the Department of Health and Community Services shall be considered workers; and
(b) the ambulance service that makes the application for admission of the service shall be considered the employer, for the purpose of the Act.
(2) The members of the volunteer ambulance service are considered to be in the course of their employment from the time they respond to a call until they have completed those activities required to respond to that call.
(3) The members of a volunteer ambulance service are also considered to be in the course of their employment while
(a) carrying out duties and responsibilities of a member of a volunteer ambulance service as assigned by their employer or its delegate;
(b) repairing and maintaining ambulance or other equipment related to the ambulance service; and
(c) attending educational and training sessions which have been sanctioned by the Department of Health and Community Services.
(4) The members of a volunteer ambulance service are not considered to be in the course of their employment while involved in fundraising activities on behalf of the service.
(5) An employer shall yearly, before January 1 and at the other times that the commission requires, notify the commission of the number of members of the volunteer ambulance service.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer