This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Newfoundland Regulation 2001
Social Assistance Regulations (Amendment)
Under the authority of section 30 of the Social Assistance Act, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
Deborah E. Fry
1. (1) Subsection 2(1) of the Social Assistance Regulations is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (c) the following:
(c.1) "disabled adult" means an adult who, in the opinion of an officer of the department, requires supportive services to aid independent living;
(2) Paragraph 2(1)(i) of the regulations is amended by deleting the word "and" after subparagraph (xiv), deleting the semi-colon in subparagraph (xv) and substituting a comma and by adding immediately after subparagraph (xv) the following:
(xvi) interest and income received from a support trust by a disabled adult or a family with one or more disabled adults in accordance with subsection 12(3);
(3) Subsection 2(1) of the regulations is amended by deleting the period at the end of paragraph (j) and substituting a semi-colon and the word "and" and by adding immediately after paragraph (j) the following:
(k) "support trust" means a trust fund established for the use and benefit of a disabled adult.
2. Section 12 of the regulations is amended by adding immediately after subsection (2) the following:
(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2), an officer of the department may grant social assistance to a disabled adult or a family with one or more disabled adults for whose use and benefit there is a support trust provided that
(a) the liquid assets of the support trust do not exceed a total of $100,000; and
(b) that disabled adult or family annually receives the total interest and income from the support trust plus 2% of the liquid assets of the support trust; and
(c) the support trust is established and maintained in a manner and under terms and conditions that the minister may establish or approve.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer