This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Heritage District Regulations
Under the authority of section 29 of the Historic Resources Act, the Heritage
Foundation of Newfoundland and
1. Short title
2. Application for registration
4. Resolution of council
5. Notice to property owners
6. Additional information
7. Designation of district
8. Publication of notice of designation
1. These regulations may be cited as the Registered Heritage District Regulations.
Application for registration
2. A person, association of persons, whether incorporated or unincorporated, and a municipality may apply to the foundation for the designation of an area containing a number of buildings or other structures that the applicant considers to be of architectural or historical significance to the province as a registered heritage district.
3. An application under section 2 shall include a description of the area to be included in the registered heritage district.
Resolution of council
4. Where an application under section 2 relates to an area located within a municipality, the application shall be accompanied by a copy of a resolution of the council of the municipality in support of the proposed designation.
Notice to property owners
5. The foundation shall inform the owners of property located in the area of the application by
(a) holding a public meeting for the purpose of informing them of the application; and
(b) publishing a notice respecting the application in a newspaper circulating in the area comprising the proposed district or by another appropriate means.
6. The foundation may require an applicant to provide additional information respecting the application that it considers necessary.
Designation of district
7. The foundation may designate an area described in an application to be a registered heritage district where the foundation is of the opinion the area contains buildings or other structures that are of architectural or historical significance to the province.
Publication of notice of designation
8. The foundation shall provide public notice of the designation by publication of a notice in a newspaper circulating in the area of the designation or by another appropriate means.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer