This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
of Education Notice, 2003
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department restructured and reconstituted
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Education Notice, 2003.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Education; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Education.
Department restructured and reconstituted
3. (1) The department is restructured and reconstituted by Order in Council 2001-141 and Order in Council 2003-363 and the department is presided over by the minister.
(2) The department has 4 branches, as follows:
(a) Primary, Elementary and Secondary Education;
(b) Planning and Educational Programs;
(c) Finance and Administration; and
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to education generally, including all matters relating to
(a) early childhood education;
(b) schools, school districts and educational institutions receiving financial aid directly or indirectly from the province;
(c) high school certification registry and provincial tests and public examinations;
(d) approval and inspection of private primary, elementary and high schools;
(e) monitoring and ensuring the progress of schools;
(f) liaison with school boards and other educational agencies in relation to the operation of schools;
(g) evaluation of school programs and performance;
(h) construction and maintenance of school buildings;
(i) literacy development and implementation of the Strategic Literacy Plan;
(j) public libraries; and
(k) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
5. The Department of Education Notice, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 59/96, is repealed.
1. Literacy Development Council Act
2. Public Libraries Act
3. School Boards’ Association Act
4. Schools Act, 1997
5. Teacher Training Act
6. Teachers’ Association Act
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer