This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
of Youth Services and Post-Secondary Education Notice
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department created and structure confirmed
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Youth Services and Post-Secondary Education Notice.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Youth Services and Post-Secondary Education; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Youth Services and Post – Secondary Education.
Department created and structure confirmed
3. (1) The department was created by Order in Council 2001-140 and the departmental structure is confirmed by Order in Council 2003-380 and the department is presided over by the minister.
(2) The department consists of three branches, as follows:
(a) Post-Secondary Education and Training;
(b) Youth Services and Career Development; and
(c) International Education and Planning.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters, including all matters relating to
(a) the encouragement, promotion, establishment, development, co-ordination and implementation of services and activities relating to youth;
(b) monitoring and ensuring the progress of post-secondary education and training institutions;
(c) colleges continued or established under the Colleges Act, 1991;
(e) private training institutions and trade schools registered under the Private Training Institutions Act;
(f) payment of financial assistance for students attending post-secondary education institutions under the Student Assistance Act;
(g) payment of scholarships and awards for students attending post-secondary education institutions;
(h) training, certification and qualifications of apprentices and journey persons;
(i) recommending and advising upon training courses for the work force and those entering it;
(j) generally, community youth networking, leadership and employment services for youth and labour market development for youth;
(k) international educational services;
(l) co-management of the Labour market Development Agreement; and
(m) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
1. Apprenticeship and Certification Act
2. College Act, 1996
3. Degree Granting Act
7. Pickersgill Fellowship Act
8. Private Training Institutions Act
9. Student Financial Assistance Act
10. Student Loan Act (
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer