This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Open Season Big Game Black Bear Hunting and
(Filed August 14, 2003)
Under the authority of sections 38, 92 and 114 of the Wild Life Regulations and the Wild Life Act, I make the following Order.
Dated at St. John’s, August 14, 2003.
1. Short title
3. Open seasons
4. Devices permitted
5. Prohibited devices
6. Special licence
7. Bag limits
1. This Order may be cited as the Open Season Big Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order, Labrador, 2003-2004.
2. The taking of black bear is prohibited throughout Labrador except as provided for in this Order.
3. (1) The open seasons for black bear hunting shall be
(a) in the George River and Torngat Mountains Zones, August 10, 2003 to November 30, 2003 and April 1, 2004 to July 13, 2004; and
(b) in the Labrador South Zone, September 1, 2003 to November 30, 2003 and April 1, 2004 to July 13, 2004.
(2) The zones referred to in subsection (1) are described in the Schedule.
4. Only Aldrich foot snares or similar devices may be set for the taking of black bears and those devices shall be set in a covered "cubby set" and clearly marked with a warning sign indicating that a bear snaring device is set in the "cubby".
5. Steel-jaw leghold, spring or jump traps shall not be used to take black bears.
6. Persons who have resided in the Torngat Mountain Electoral District for a period of 6 consecutive months immediately before applying for a licence may be issued a licence identified as a special licence free of charge.
7. (1) The bag limit for residents shall be 2 black bears of any age or sex.
(2) The bag limit for non-residents shall be 2 black bears of any age or sex.
(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2), female black bears accompanied by cubs may not be taken by shooting.
8. A person shall not transport or possess any firearms under the authority of a valid game licence without being in possession of an outdoor identification card, or non-resident equivalent card, issued to the person.
9. The Open Season Big Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order, Labrador, 2002-2003, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 68/02, is repealed.
(a) George River Zone
All that area of Labrador bounded by a line beginning at the point where the 54° 00’ north latitude intersects the Labrador-Quebec boundary;
Then following this boundary in a generally northerly and easterly direction to the point where the most westerly of the rivers flowing into Hebron Fiord intersects that boundary at approximately 58° 06’ north latitude;
Then following the south bank of this river and the south shoreline of Hebron Fiord in a generally easterly direction to the Atlantic Ocean coast line;
Then following this coast line in a generally southerly direction, including all offshore islands, to the north bank of the mouth of the Kanairiktok River;
Then following the north bank of that river to the confluence with the Sail Lake Tributary;
Then crossing the Kanairiktok River at the shortest distance to the east bank of the Sail Lake Tributary and following the east bank of the Sail Lake Tributary to the intersection with the Sail Lake Dikes, water control structures, on Michikamau Reservoir;
Then following a straight line to the north bank at the mouth of the McPhadyen River and Menihek Lake;
Then following the north bank of that river to the intersection with 54° 00’ north latitude;
Then following the 54° 00’ north latitude due west to point of commencement.
(b) Torngat Mountains Zone
All that area of Labrador, including adjacent offshore islands, lying north of the George River Zone as described above.
(c) Labrador South Zone
All that area of Labrador not included in the George River Zone and the Torngat Mountains Zone described above.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer