This is an official version.
Copyright © 2008: Queen's Printer,
Vehicles Regulations, 2001 (Amendment)
Under the authority of section 187 of the Highway Traffic Act, I make the following regulations.
3. S.9.1 Added
4. Sch. D R&S
1. Section 7 of the Vehicles Regulations, 2001 is repealed and the following substituted:
Excessive axle mass
7. (1) A person shall not operate a vehicle, either unladen or with load, upon a highway and the vehicle shall not be registered under subsection 5(1) and (2) where
(a) an axle weight of a vehicle exceeds 10 kilograms per millimetre of the tire manufacturer's rated tire width; or
(b) an axle weight for a non-steering axle exceeds 3000 kilograms per tire in respect of all tires installed on the wheels of the non-steering axle.
(2) Notwithstanding (1)(b) a person shall not operate a vehicle either unladen or with load, upon a highway and the vehicle shall not be registered under subsection 5(1) and (2) where
(a) an axle weight for a non-steering axle which is fitted with two single tires each of which has a width of 445 millimetres or greater exceeds 7700 kilograms for a single axle; or
(b) an axle weight for a non-steering axle which is fitted with two single tires each of which has a width of 445 millimetres or greater exceeds 15,400 kilograms for tandem axle group.
(3) For trailers built in 2007 or earlier, the minimum track width for trailer axles fitted with two single tires each with a 445 millimetres width or greater must be no less than 2.3 metres.
(4) For trailers built in 2008 or later, the minimum track width for all axles must be no less than 2.5 metres.
2. Paragraph 9(i) of the regulations is amended by striking out the number "20" in subparagraph (ii) and substituting the number "30" and by repealing subparagraph (iii) and substituting the following:
(iii) auxiliary equipment and/or devices not designed or used to carry cargo that may extend to not more than 10 centimetres on each side beyond the maximum width of 2.6 metres;
3. The regulations are amended by adding immediately after section 9 the following:
9.1 Aerodynamic devices installed at the rear of trucks, trailers and semi-trailers shall not be included in the measurement of overall length, trailer length, semi trailer length, box length and effective rear overhang where
(a) any portion of the device more than 1.9 metres above the ground does not protrude more than 0.16 metres beyond the rear of the vehicle;
(b) any portion of the device within 1.9 metres of the ground does not protrude more than 0.305 metres beyond the rear of the vehicle; and
(c) the aerodynamic device is not designed or used to carry cargo.
5. Schedule D of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
The "D" Sign has been adopted to identify overdimensional vehicles. Use of Wide Load, Long Load or Oversize Load signs is not permitted or recognized as suitable alternatives.
For Oversize Vehicle:
The vehicle transporting an overdimensional load must be equipped with warning "D" signs at front and rear which meet the following specifications:
Section Widths (cm)
Colour: White level II reflectance and stop sign red (# 712 3M or equivalent)
Material: The sign panel must be fabricated of retroflective material.
For Escort Vehicle:
The escort vehicle must be equipped with either warning "D" signs or a lighted sign box. The sign or lighted sign box must be visible to approaching traffic:
- from the front when leading an overdimensional vehicle or load
- from the rear when following an overdimensional vehicle or load.
If warning "D' Signs are used, they must meet the following specifications:
Small Sign Section Widths (cm)
If a lighted sign box is used, it must meet the following specifications:
- the sign must be upright when in use, and clearly visible from the front and rear of the vehicle (the sign must be folded flat when not in use or not required, or must be removed from the vehicle)
Box Dimensions - the box must be 180 centimetres x 35 centimetres x 10 centimetres and constructed of mild steel material with inside and outside surfaces of baked white enamel. The box must shelter all wire connectors, switches, flashers, etc.
Illumination - A sufficient number of lamps must be mounted in the box and spaced to give even lighting of the sign background across its full width.
Sign Panel - the sign panel must be 3 millimetres thick, with a white plexi-glass background with red bars painted with transparent red paint. The letter "D" must be white in color and must be 20 centimetres high, Series E.
Outboard Lights - must consist of two 175-millimetre (minimum) amber lights with reflectors, rated at 12.5 volts, 3 amps and 0.50 candela with a rated life of 300 hours.
Inboard Lights - must consist of 2 standard 203-millimetre rotating amber lights, with 2 sealed beam units per lamp.
6. These regulations shall come into force on
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer