This is an official version.
Copyright © 2008: Queen's Printer,
of Natural Resources Notice
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department created
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Natural Resources Notice.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Natural Resources; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Natural Resources.
3. (1) The department was created by Order in Council 2004-201and is confirmed by Order in Council 2008-231.
(2) The department is presided over by the minister.
(3) The department consists of 2 branches, as follows:
(a) Mines; and
(4) The Forestry and Agrifoods Agency was created as a division of the Department of Natural Resources by Order in Council 2006-453 consisting of 2 branches, as follows:
(a) Forestry Services; and
(b) Agrifoods Development.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to
(a) the promotion and exploration of mineral and energy resources and related industry development activities;
(b) mines, minerals, quarries, quarry materials and beaches;
(c) onshore and offshore petroleum;
(d) electrical power;
(e) overall responsibility for provincial energy supply and demand;
(f) the development, monitoring, supervision, assistance or other government intervention into any of the industries described in paragraphs (b) to (e);
(g) royalties and associated matters, within or outside the province;
(h) the identification, assessment and promotion of industrial benefits from major resource development projects;
(i) forest resources and the access, utilization, monitoring and protection of forest resources, including silviculture;
(j) shared responsibility for management, preservation, protection and development of wildlife and inland fish;
(k) enforcement responsibility in the areas of forestry and wildlife, and assisting in the enforcement in the areas of inland fisheries, motorized snow vehicles and all-terrain vehicles use, in reserves under the Wilderness and Ecological Reserves Act and under the Migratory Bird Convention Act (Canada);
(l) agriculture in all its branches and in its widest sense, without limitation of the word "agriculture", agrifoods, agronomy, horticulture, animal husbandry, aviculture, the development of pasturage and the growing of hay and the products of agriculture, including, without limitation of the word "products", animals, meats, fur, eggs, poultry, wool, dairy products, berries, grains, seeds, fruit, including wild fruit, fruit products, vegetables and vegetable products;
(m) animal health;
(n) food technology and marketing;
(o) agricultural land and the sustainable utilization, protection, conservation, management, surveying, mapping and development of agricultural land; and
(p) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
5. The Department of Mines and Energy Notice, 2003, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 88/03, and the Department of Forest Resources and Agrifoods Notice, 2003, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 80/03, are repealed.
1. Agrologists Act
2. Animal Protection Act
3. Canada-Newfoundland and
5. Crop Insurance Act
6. Dog Act
7. Donation of Food Act
8. Electrical Power Control Act, 1994
9. Energy Corporation Act
10. Energy Corporation of
11. Farm Practices Protection Act
12. Farm Products Corporation Act
14. Forestry Act
15. Heritage Animals Act
16. Hydro Corporation Act, 2007
17. Livestock Act
18. Livestock Health Act
19. Livestock Insurance Act
20. Lower Churchill Development Act
21. Meat Inspection Act (with Government Services)
22. Mineral Act
23. Mineral Holdings Impost Act
24. Mining Act
25. Miscellaneous Financial Provisions Act, 1975
26. Motorized Snow Vehicles and All-Terrain Vehicles Act (with Government Services)
27. Natural Products Marketing Act
29. Petroleum and Natural Gas Act
30. Plant Protection Act
31. Poultry and Poultry Products Act
32. Quarry Materials Act, 1998
33. Undeveloped Mineral Areas Act
34. Vegetable Grading Act
35. Veterinary Medical Act, 2004
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer