This is an official version.
Copyright © 2008: Queen's Printer,
of Environment and Conservation
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
1. Short title
3. Department created
4. Powers and duties of the minister
1. This Notice may be cited as the Department of Environment and Conservation Notice, 2008.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Environment and Conservation; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Environment and Conservation.
3. (1) The department was created by Order in Council 2004-200 is confirmed by Order in Council 2007-427.
(2) The department is presided over by the minister.
(3) The department has 3 branches, as follows:
(b) Lands; and
(c) Natural Heritage.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to
(a) the protection, enhancement and conservation of the quality of the natural environment, including water, air and soil quality;
(b) environmental assessment;
(c) the conservation, development, control, improvement and proper utilization of the water resources of the province; and
(d) provincial lands;
(e) the management, preservation, control protection and development of;
(i) provincial parks, as defined in the Provincial Parks Act;
(ii) provincial interests in all national parks established in the province by the Government of Canada;
(iii) wilderness and ecological reserves as defined in the Wilderness and Ecological Reserves Act;
(f) the management and control of measures for the protection, preservation and propagation of wildlife, including inland fish;
(g) the assessment, development and establishment of sustainability indicators for the sustainable development of natural resources in the province;
(h) the management, protection and preservation of endangered species as defined in the Endangered Species Act; and
(i) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule, and all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
5. The Department of Environment Notice, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 76/03, is repealed.
1. Endangered Species Act
2. Environmental Protection Act (with Government Services)
3. Geographical Names Board Act
4. Lands Act
5. Land Surveyors Act, 1991
6. National Parks Lands Act
7. Provincial Parks Act
8. Sustainable Development Act
9. Water Resources Act (with Government Services)
10. Wild Life Act (with Natural Resources)
11. Wilderness and Ecological Reserves Act
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer