This is an official version.
Copyright © 2009: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Service District Regulations (Amendment)
Under the authority of section 415 of the Municipalities Act, 1999, I make the following regulations.
Dianne C. Whalen
1. The Local Service District Regulations is amended by adding immediately after section 8 the following:
Composition of committee after amalgamation
8.1 (1) Within 60 days of an order under paragraph 387(b), (d) or (e) of the Act
(a) altering the boundaries of a local service district;
(b) amalgamating 2 or more local service districts; or
(c) including one or more unincorporated areas in an amalgamation under paragraph (d),
the householders in
(d) a local service district whose boundaries have been altered;
(e) an area in a local service district that has been amalgamated; or
(f) an unicorporated area being included in a local service district under paragraph (d),
shall meet to elect a member to represent them on the committee of the local service district to which the change relates.
(2) The meeting referred to in subsection (1) shall be called by posting a notice in at least 2 public places in each area to which the change relates at least 7 days before the date of the meeting.
(3) A quorum for a meeting held under subsection (1) is 10% of the householders in the area.
(4) Where the householders in an area fail to elect a member as required by subsection (1), the minister shall appoint a member to represent the householders on the committee.
(5) A member of a committee elected under subsection (1) or appointed under subsection (4) holds office until the expiration of the term of office of the members who held office at the time of his or her election or appointment.
(6) Subsection 8(4) applies to persons appointed by the minister under subsection (4).
(7) Subsections (1) and (4) apply with respect to the members elected or appointed under them, notwithstanding subsection 8(1).
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer