This is an official version.
Copyright © 2012: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
(Filed May 2, 2012)
Under the authority of sections 48, 49 and 50 of the Animal Health and Protection Act, I make the following Order.
Jerome P. Kennedy, Q.C.
1. Short title
2. Heritage animal designation continued
5. Society designated
Order may be cited as the
Heritage animal designation continued
2. The designation of the Newfoundland Pony as a heritage animal is continued under section 48 of the Act.
3. For the purpose of this Order, the Newfoundland Pony is a vertebrate of the species Equus caballus that
(a) stands from 11.0 to 14.2 hands in height;
(b) has a body structure that may vary from fine-boned to stocky;
(c) has a black, brown, grey, chestnut, white or bays to roan colour, but is not piebald or skewbald in colour;
(d) has a heavy coat that may change colour and character seasonally, feather fetlocks with hair extending below the fetlock points, flint hard hooves, a thick low set tail and thick mane;
(e) is sure footed and is a good winter animal;
(f) has a good temperament;
(g) has dark limb points, but may also have white or light colour on the animal's limbs;
(h) is free from hereditary defects which endanger the animal's ability to live a normal healthy life; and
(i) was born in the province or whose ancestry may be traced to the province.
4. Subsection 49(1) of the Act does not apply to the Newfoundland Pony.
5. (1) The designation of the Newfoundland Pony Society as a society to act in the preservation of the Newfoundland Pony is continued under paragraph 50(a) of the Act.
6. The Newfoundland Pony Designation Order, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 114/97, is repealed.
7. This Order comes into force on May 2, 2012.