This is an official version.
Copyright © 2014: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
(Filed January 29, 2014)
Under the authority of section 19 of the Personal Services Act, I make the following regulations.
1. Short title
3. Application for registration
4. Registration not transferable
6. Tanning facility signage
7. Protective eyewear at tanning facilities
8. Prohibited tanning equipment
1. These regulations may be cited as the Personal Services Regulations.
2. In these regulations, "Act" means the Personal Services Act.
Application for registration
3. Applications to register a personal services establishment or a tanning facility shall be in the form and accompanied by the documentation prescribed by the minister.
Registration not transferable
4. Registration of a personal services establishment or a tanning facility is not transferable or assignable.
5. (1) The following forms of identification are prescribed as proof of age under subsection 4(2) of the Act:
(a) a valid driver's licence issued by the government of the province;
(b) an identification card issued by the government of the province;
(c) a valid passport issued by the government of
(d) certification of Canadian citizenship issued
by the government of
(e) a Canadian Forces identification card; and
(f) a form of identification similar to those forms of identification described in paragraphs (a) to (e) that
(i) is issued by the government of
(ii) contains a photographic image of the person to whom it is issued and his or her date of birth.
(2) A form of identification that appears to have been tampered with or altered shall not be accepted as proof of age.
Tanning facility signage
6. (1) Tanning facility point of sale signs and tanning equipment signs shall
(a) be readily legible;
(b) have minimum dimensions of 216 millimetres by 279 millimetres; and
(c) be either a white background with black text or a black background with white text.
(2) A point of sale sign shall be posted or displayed in a tanning facility within one metre of every cash register or sales counter where access to tanning equipment is sold and shall be in the form and contain the information prescribed by the minister.
(3) A tanning equipment sign shall be posted or displayed in a tanning facility within one metre of each piece of tanning equipment and shall be in the form and contain the information prescribed by the minister.
Protective eyewear at tanning facilities
tanning facility shall have eye protection that meets the spectral
transmittance requirements under the Radiation
Emitting Devices Act (
Prohibited tanning equipment
8. (1) Tanning equipment shall not be used in a tanning facility where
(a) a person who purchases access to the tanning equipment may activate, turn on or program the tanning equipment;
(b) the tanning equipment is a self-service device that upon insertion of one or more coins, tokens or cards automatically activates, turns on or is programmed; or
(c) the tanning equipment does not automatically shut off after the time to access the tanning equipment purchased by a person expires.
(2) In this section, "program" includes controlling the length of time the tanning equipment is activated or turned on.