This is an official version.
Copyright © 2014: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Cargo Securement Regulations (Amendment)
(Filed September 9, 2014)
Under the authority of section 197 of the Highway Traffic Act, I make the following regulations.
Dated at St. John’s, August 29, 2014.
1. General Amdt.
1. The Cargo Securement Regulations are amended by deleting the word "internodal" wherever it occurs and substituting the word "intermodal".
2. Paragraph 2(mm) of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
(mm) "light vehicle" means an automobile, truck or van that weighs 4 500 kilograms or less;
3. The regulations are amended by adding immediately after section 14 the following:
Usable friction resistance
14.1 A person shall not use a friction mat as part of a cargo securement system unless the friction mat is marked by the manufacturer with the maximum usable friction resistance in units of standard gravity the mat will provide in restraining cargo against horizontal and lateral movement.
4. Section 15 of the regulations is repealed.
5. (1) Subsections 53(1) and (2) of the regulations are repealed and the following substituted:
Coils transported with eyes crosswise
53. (1) This section applies when either of the following are being transported by a vehicle with anchor points or an intermodal container with anchor points:
(a) coils transported with the eyes crosswise; or
(b) transverse rows of coils loaded side by side and having approximately the same outside diameters.
(2) Each coil or transverse row of coils shall be immobilized with timbers, chocks or wedges, a cradle or other device that
(a) prevents the coil from rolling;
(b) supports the coil off the deck; and
(c) is not capable of becoming unfastened or loose while the vehicle is on a highway.
(2) Subsection 53(4) of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
(4) Each coil or transverse row of coils shall be secured with
(a) at least one tiedown through its eye, restricting against forward movement, and where practical, making an angle of not more than 45 degrees with the deck when viewed from the side; and
(b) at least one tiedown through its eye, restricting against rearward movement, and where practical, making an angle of not more than 45 degrees with the deck when viewed from the side.
(3) Section 53 of the regulations is amended by adding immediately after subsection (4) the following:
(5) Where coils are loaded to contact each other in the longitudinal direction and relative motion between the coils and between coils and the vehicle is prevented by tiedowns,
(a) only the foremost and rearmost coils or rows of coils shall be immobilized in accordance with subsection 53(2); and
(b) a single tiedown restraining against forward motion may be used to secure a coil except the rearmost coil, which shall be restrained against rearward motion.
6. (1) Subsection 84(3) of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
(3) The integral locking devices used to secure the intermodal container shall restrain each lower corner of the intermodal container.
(2) Subsection 84(4) of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
(4) The front and rear of the intermodal container shall be independently secured to the container chassis vehicle.
7. These regulations come into force on September 15, 2014.