This is an official version.
Copyright © 2015: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Financial Assistance Regulations (Amendment)
(Filed July 28, 2015)
Under the authority of section 16 of the Student Financial Assistance Act, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
1. (1) Section 2 of the Student Financial Assistance Regulations is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (b) the following:
(b.1) "federal part time student loan"
means a loan made to a part time student by the Government of Canada under the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act (
(2) Section 2 of the regulations is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (e) the following:
(e.1) "part time student" means a qualifying student who is enrolled in at least 20% and less than 60% of a full course load but does not include a qualifying student who is eligible for financial assistance under subsection 3(4) of the Student Financial Assistance Administration Regulations;
2. The regulations are amended by adding immediately after section 5 the following:
for part time
5.01 (1) Notwithstanding section 5, the corporation may issue a non repayable grant to a part time student who has been issued a certificate of eligibility for a federal part time student loan.
(2) A non repayable grant referred to in subsection (1) shall be issued in an amount equal to the amount of the part time student's federal part time student loan.
(3) Where the amount of a part time student's federal part time student loan is increased after the non repayable grant is issued, the corporation may issue a further non repayable grant equal to the amount of the increase.
(4) Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), a non repayable grant issued under this section shall not exceed either
(a) $500 per semester; or
(b) $1,000 per 12 month period commencing on August 1 each year and ending July 31 the following year.
(5) A part time student to whom a notice of financial assistance has been issued shall:
(a) sign those consents, authorizations and certificates that the minister may require; and
(b) provide information that the minister may require.
(6) Section 4 does not apply to financial assistance issued under this section.
3. Section 5.1 of the regulations is repealed and the following substituted:
Loan and grant disbursement
5.1 (1) A student loan or a grant issued under section 4 or 5.01 shall not be disbursed before the borrower’s period of study start date or after the last day of the month of the borrower’s period of study end date.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), with the written approval of the minister, a student loan or a grant issued under section 4 or 5.01 may be disbursed in a manner that does not comply with the disbursement requirements of subsection (1).
4. These regulations come into force on August 1, 2015.