This is an official version.
Copyright © 2015: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Financial Assistance Administration Regulations (Amendment)
(Filed July 28, 2015)
Under the authority of section 15 of the Student Financial Assistance Act, I make the following regulations.
1. (1) Section 2 of the Student Financial Assistance Administration Regulations is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (c) the following:
(c.1) "federal part time student loan"
means a loan made to a part time student by the Government of Canada under the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act (
(2) Section 2 of the regulations is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (f) the following:
(f.1) "part time student" means a qualifying student who is enrolled in at least 20% and less than 60% of a full course load but does not include a qualifying student who is eligible for financial assistance under subsection 3(4);
2. The regulations are amended by adding immediately after section 3 the following:
Financial assistance for part time students
3.1 (1) The minister may grant financial assistance to a person where it is substantiated that the person
(a) is a part time student;
(b) is eligible for a federal part time student loan for the period of study; and
(c) is enrolled in an educational institution in the province.
(2) Where the minister is satisfied that the requirements in subsection (1) have been met, the minister may issue a notice of financial assistance to the person.
(3) A notice of financial assistance shall
(a) be in a form that the minister considers appropriate;
(b) set out the amount of financial assistance for which the part time student named on the notice is eligible; and
(c) state other terms that the minister considers necessary.
(4) A notice of financial assistance referred to in this section shall not be issued to a part time student after the end date of the period of study to which that notice applies.
(5) Section 3, sections 4 to 7 and sections 10 to 26.1 do not apply to financial assistance issued under this section.
3. Subsection 8(1) of the regulations is amended by deleting the words "an application for".
4. These regulations come into force on August 1, 2015.