This is an official version.
Copyright ©2016: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Season Big Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order,
(Filed June 7, 2016)
Under the authority of sections 38 and 114 of the Wild Life Regulations and the Wild Life Act, I make the following Order.
1. Short title
2. Open season
3. Devices permitted
4. Prohibited devices
5. Bag limits
6. Validity of licence
8. Sunday hunting
Order may be cited as the Open Season Big
Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order,
2. (1) The open season for the hunting and snaring of black bear shall be May 7, 2016 to July 2, 2016 and September 10, 2016 to November 6, 2016 in all moose management areas, except as follows:
(2) The moose management areas referred to in subsection (1) are described in the Open Season Big Game Moose Hunting Order, Newfoundland, 2015-2016 except that moose management sub-areas do not apply to black bear hunting.
(3) Hunting black bear by bow and arrow only shall be permitted in Moose Management Areas 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 45, and 47 during the period of August 27, 2016 to September 10, 2016.
3. Only Aldrich foot snares or similar devices may be set for the taking of black bears and those devices shall be set in a covered "cubby set" and clearly marked with a warning sign indicating that a bear snaring device is set in the "cubby".
4. Steel-jaw leghold, spring or jump traps or neck snares shall not be used to take black bears.
5. (1) The bag limit shall be 2 black bear of any age or sex.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), female black bears accompanied by cubs may not be taken by shooting.
Validity of licence
6. A black bear licence shall be valid only for the area for which it is issued.
7. A person shall not transport or possess firearms under the authority of a valid game licence without being in possession of an outdoor identification card, or non-resident equivalent card, issued to the person.
8. Hunting with a firearm on Sundays shall be permitted across the entire province, beginning October 2, 2016 and ending April 30, 2017, for the species and during the seasons as described in this Order.
9. The Open Season Big Game Black Bear Hunting and Snaring Order, Newfoundland, 2015, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 36/15, is repealed.