This is an official version.
Copyright ©2017: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Members' Resources and Allowances Rules
(Filed March 23, 2017)
Under the authority of subsection 15(5) and section 64 of the House of Assembly Accountability, Integrity and Administration Act, as approved by the House of Assembly Management Commission on February 27, 2017 and tabled in the House of Assembly on March 7, the House of Assembly Management Commission makes the following rules.
SNL2007 cH-10.01 Sch. as amended
1. (1) Paragraph 24(i) of the Members' Resources and Allowances Rule is repealed and the following substituted:
(i) advertising in the form and with the content outlined in the policies of the commission;
(2) Paragraph 24(j) of the Rules is repealed.
2. Paragraph 28(e) of the Rules is repealed and the following substituted:
(e) "private accommodation" means accommodation maintained by a person other than the member or the member's spouse and which may be used by the member when traveling;
3. Section 29 of the Rules is amended by adding immediately after subsection (5) the following:
(5.1) Notwithstanding subsection 29(1), paragraphs 30(a), (b) and (d), 31(1)(a), 32(2)(a), 33(a), subsection 33.1(1), paragraphs 35(a), 36(2)(a) and section 37.2 a member shall not claim reimbursement for travel to and from the capital region within commuting distance of the Confederation Building Complex.
4. Section 30 of the Rules is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (c) the following:
(c.1) between his or her constituency and another constituency to attend to constituency business;
5. Subsection 39(1) of the Rules is repealed and the following substituted:
Extra constituency travel allowance
39. (1) A member may be reimbursed in accordance with this section for reasonable travel, accommodation and meal expenses incurred with respect to circumstances referred to in paragraphs 30(c.1), (d), (e) (f) and (g).
6. Section 45 of the Rules is repealed and the following substituted:
45. (1) A member who is a member of a standing or select committee of the House of Assembly, the commission or a committee of the commission may claim for reasonable expenses related to attendance at a committee or commission meeting when the House is not in session.
(2) Reasonable expenses claimed under subsection (1) shall be
(a) in accordance with the travel and allowance rates permitted under these rules; and
(b) approved by the speaker before being reimbursed to the member.
7. (1) Paragraph 46(3)(a) of the Rules is repealed and the following substituted:
(a) the purchase of food, non-alcoholic beverages and other supplies for meetings with constituents or other members of the public in relation to constituency business and food and non-alcoholic beverages for other constituency related events provided that the member or his or her constituency assistant is in attendance at those events;
(2) Paragraph 46(4)(g) of the Rules is repealed and the following substituted:
(g) meal expenses from restaurants, pubs, delicatessens and similar establishments for constituents, their family members and other guests and hospitality food and beverages except as provided for in paragraph (3)(a);
8. These rules come into force on April 1, 2017.