This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Consolidated Newfoundland Regulation 1996
Under the authority of section 14 of the Livestock Act and the Subordinate Legislation Revision and Consolidation Act, the Lieutenant‑Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
1. Short title
3. Restricted grazing areas
4. Disease and overgrazing control
5. Removal and isolation of livestock
6. Maintenance fee
7. Procedures on impounding livestock
1. These regulations may be cited as the Livestock Regulations.
2. In these regulations "minister" means the Minister of Fisheries, Food and Agriculture.
Restricted grazing areas
3. The minister may designate an area of the province as a restricted grazing area for livestock and may order any or all species of livestock removed from the area.
Disease and overgrazing control
4. In order to control contagious diseases or overgrazing, the minister may refuse a livestock owner permission to graze livestock in a designated area.
Removal and isolation of livestock
5. The minister may require livestock owners to remove livestock from an open pasture and require that the owners shall isolate them in a prescribed manner.
6. The impounder of any livestock under subsection 5(3) of the Livestock Act shall be entitled to a fee not to exceed $50 per day for care and maintenance of each animal while impounded.
Procedures on impounding livestock
7. The following procedures shall be followed in respect to the impounding of any livestock:
(a) before impounding
(i) the impounder of any livestock shall give prior notice of intent to impound so as to ensure that the owners of the livestock shall be notified of the intent to impound and the costs associated with impounding, and
(ii) the minister or his or her representative shall have authority to inspect and approve an impounding area to ensure proper care can be given to the livestock to be impounded;
(b) after impounding
(i) the impounder shall, within 48 hours of the impounding, notify the minister that he or she has taken that action and he or she shall provide the minister or his or her representative with a description of the animal and of any marks or brands on it,
(ii) the impounder shall give public notice of the impounding and a description of the livestock impounded and the impounding fee,
(iii) if an animal is claimed, the owner or his or her agent shall pay the prescribed impounding fee before each animal is released, and
(iv) if an animal is not claimed within 10 days of the public notice, the minister or his or her representative in co‑operation with the impounder may make arrangements for the sale of the animal by public auction.
8. The Livestock Regulations, 1981, Newfoundland Regulation 24/81, are repealed.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer