This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1991
AN ACT TO AMEND THE
(Assented to December 11, 1991)
1. S.2(b) Rep.
2. S.4 R&S
3. S.5 R&S
4. S.6 Amdt.
5. S.7 R&S
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Paragraph 2(b) of The Intergovernmental Affairs Act, 1975 is repealed.
2. Section 4 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
4. The secretariat shall operate under the direction of the Premier.
3. Section 5 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Deputy minister & staff
5. (1) The Lieutenant-Governor in Council may appoint an officer called the Secretary to Cabinet for Intergovernmental Affairs who shall perform those duties and functions assigned to him or her by the Premier.
(2) The Secretary to Cabinet for Intergovernmental Affairs shall be the deputy head of the secretariat and shall hold office during pleasure.
(3) Other officers and employees who are necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the secretariat shall be appointed in the manner authorized by law.
4. Section 6 of the Act is amended by striking out the word "Minister" and substituting the word "Premier".
5. Section 7 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
7. Notwithstanding another Act or law, every intergovernmental agreement shall, before it is executed be submitted to the Premier, and except an agreement in respect of which the Lieutenant-Governor in Council by order directs otherwise, every intergovernmental agreement shall be signed by the Premier as well as the minister of the government of the province administering the department to which it relates, and an intergovernmental agreement which is not executed in accordance with this section is not binding on the province or an agency or official of the province.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer