This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1992
AN ACT TO AMEND THE ELECTORAL
(Assented to December 23, 1992)
1. S.13 Amdt.
2. S.14(1)(a) Amdt.
3. S.15 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
RSN 1990 cE-4
1. (1) Subsection 13(1) of the Electoral Boundaries Act is repealed and the following substituted:
Redistribution and population quotient
13. (1) In the calendar year 1993 and in each 10th calendar year following, the commission shall, as soon as is convenient after March 31 in each year
(a) divide the province into between 40 and 46 proposed 1-member districts, the number of seats to be determined by the commission, retaining where advisable the names of districts existing prior to the division; and
(b) establish a quotient for each proposed district in the province by dividing the total population of the province by the number determined by the commission under paragraph (a).
2. Paragraph 14(1)(a) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(a) the division of the province into the number of 1-member districts determined under paragraph 13(1)(a);
3. (1) Paragraph 15(b) of the Act is repealed.
(2) Paragraph 15(a) of the Act is re-lettered as paragraph (b) and amended by adding immediately before the word "ensure" the word "otherwise".
(3) Section 15 of the Act is further amended by adding the following as paragraph (a):
(a) with respect to Labrador, the commission shall give appropriate weight to the circumstance that persons of aboriginal descent form the majority of those who reside in the portion of Labrador that lies generally north of Lake Melville, and shall give appropriate weight to the geographic considerations of that area and the community of interests of the residents of those communities north of Lake Melville, a majority of whose inhabitants are aboriginal, with the intention that these communities constitute a district, notwithstanding the other requirements of this Act;
(4) Subparagraph 15(c)(i) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(i) special geographic considerations including
(A) the community of interests of the residents of those communities in the province that are not connected by road, including those communities along the coast of Labrador and the southwest coast of the island portion of the province,
(B) the sparsity, density or relative rate of growth of population of a region of the province, and
(C) the accessibility of a region or its size or shape appear to the commission to make a departure necessary or desirable, or
(5) Subparagraph 15(c)(ii) is amended by striking out the word and letter "paragraph (b)" and substituting the word and letter "paragraph (a)".
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer