This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1993
AN ACT TO AMEND THE ROYAL
(Assented to December 17, 1993)
1. S.28 Amdt.
2. S.29(2) R&S
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Subsections 28(2) and (3) of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Act, 1992 are repealed and the following substituted:
(2) Following an investigation of a complaint and where the commissioner does not dismiss a complaint and confirm the decision of the chief or deputy chief under subsection (1) and does not effect a settlement under section 26, he or she shall refer the matter to the chief adjudicator of the panel appointed under section 29 who shall conduct a hearing into the matter or refer it to another adjudicator.
(3) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (2), where a decision is appealed under subsection 25(3) or (4) and the penalty imposed upon a police officer by the chief or deputy chief includes a suspension without pay for 2 weeks or longer, dismissal or demotion, the commissioner shall refer the matter to the chief adjudicator of the panel appointed under section 29 who shall conduct a hearing into the matter or refer it to another adjudicator.
2. Subsection 29(2) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(2) A panel appointed under subsection (1) shall consist of 12 persons, each of whom shall be a lawyer and 1 of them shall be appointed as the chief adjudicator.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer