This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1995
AN ACT TO AMEND THE TOBACCO CONTROL ACT
(Assented to December 21, 1995)
1. S.2 Amdt.
2. S.3 Amdt.
3. S.4 Amdt.
4. S.7 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. (1) Paragraph 2(d) of the Tobacco Control Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(d) "retailer" means a person who holds a valid registration certificate under the Retail Sales Tax Act and includes a person selling tobacco on behalf of a retailer; and
(2) Paragraph 2(e) of the Act is amended by deleting the semicolon and the word "and" and by substituting a period.
(3) Paragraph 2(f) of the Act is repealed.
2. Subsection 3(2) of the Act is amended by deleting the word "and" at the end of paragraph (e), by deleting the period at the end of paragraph (f) and substituting a semi-colon and the word "and", and by adding the following immediately after paragraph (f):
(g) ask a person who is on the premises for proof of that person's age and may make other inquiries of that person.
3. Section 4 of the Act is amended by adding the following immediately after subsection (3):
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (1), it is not an offence for a person to sell, give or furnish directly or indirectly, tobacco to a person under the age of 19 years who is living in an adult correctional institution.
4. Subsection 7(1) of the Act is amended by deleting the word "and" at the end of paragraph (b), by deleting the period at the end of paragraph (c) and substituting a semicolon and the word "and", and by adding immediately after paragraph (c) the following:
(d) to a fine of $500 for selling tobacco while prohibited from doing so under paragraph (a), (b) or (c).
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer