This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1995
AN ACT TO AMEND THE WASTE MATERIAL DISPOSAL ACT AND THE SUMMARY
(Assented to December 21, 1995)
1. S.23.1 added
2. S.15 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
WASTE MATERIAL DISPOSAL ACT
RSN 1990 cW-4 as amended
1. The Waste Material Disposal Act is amended by adding immediately after section 23 the following:
23.1 (1) Notwithstanding section 23, a person who deposits waste material in the form of litter other than at a waste material disposal site for which a certificate has been issued, unless the litter is disposed of in a receptacle or container placed or located specifically for the purpose of collection is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction
(a) where the offence is a first offence, to a fine of $25 and in default of payment to imprisonment for 2 days; and
(b) where the offence is a second or subsequent offence, to a fine of $100 and in default of payment to imprisonment for 7 days.
(2) For the purpose of subsection (1), an offence shall not be considered a second or subsequent offence unless it is committed within one year of the date of the last previous conviction.
(3) Where a person who has been convicted of an offence under this Act or the regulations fails to pay the fine with respect to that offence within 60 days from the date of conviction, that person shall pay a late penalty in addition to the fine.
(4) The late penalty referred to in subsection (3) shall be
(a) in the case of a fine of $25, $10; and
(b) in the case of a fine of $100, $25.
SUMMARY PROCEEDINGS ACT
RSN 1990 cS-30 as amended
2. Subsection 15(1) of the Summary Proceedings Act is amended by deleting the word "or" at the end of paragraph (g), by adding a semicolon and the word "or" at the end of paragraph (h) and by adding immediately after paragraph (h) the following:
(i) section 23.1 of the Waste Material Disposal Act
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer