This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1997
AN ACT TO AMEND THE
(Assented to December 19, 1997)
1. S.2 Amdt.
2. S.4 R&S
3. S.5 Amdt.
4. S.6 R&S
5. S.7 R&S
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
RSN1990 cI-13 as amended
1. Section 2 of the Intergovernmental Affairs Act is amended by inserting immediately after paragraph (a) the following:
(b) "minister" means the minister appointed under the Executive Council Act to administer this Act;
2. Section 4 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
4. (1) The minister shall direct the administration of the Secretariat.
(2) In exercising the powers and discharging the duties conferred or imposed on him or her by this Act, the minister shall act under the style of office of the "Minister for Intergovernmental Affairs".
3. Subsection 5(1) of the Act is amended by deleting the phrase "the Premier" and substituting the phrase "the minister".
4. Section 6 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
6. The minister
(a) is responsible for the co-ordination of all policies, programs and activities of the government of the province and its agencies in relation to a sovereign government and its agencies;
(b) shall conduct a continuing review of
(i) all polices, programs and activities of the government of the province and its agencies in relation to a sovereign government and its agencies,
(ii) all intergovernmental agreements, and
(iii) all relevant legislation pertaining to those policies, programs, activities and agreements;
(c) shall be a party to the negotiation of all proposed intergovernmental agreements; and
(d) shall take the action that the minister considers necessary to initiate or maintain intergovernmental co-operation between the government of the province and a sovereign government.
5. Section 7 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
7. Notwithstanding another Act or law, every intergovernmental agreement shall, before it is executed, be submitted to the minister and shall be signed by the minister or his or her designate as well as the minister of the government of the province administering the department to which it relates, and an intergovernmental agreement which is not executed in accordance with this section is not binding on the province or an agency or official of the province.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer