This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland 1999
AN ACT TO AMEND THE WILDERNESS AND ECOLOGICAL RESERVES ACT
(Assented to December 14, 1999)
1. S.25 Amdt.
2. S.25.1 Added
3. S.26 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Subsection 25(3) of the Wilderness and Ecological Reserves Act is amended by adding the words and figure "an officer appointed under section 25.1 and" immediately after the words, figure and comma "Notwithstanding section 24,".
2. The Act is amended by adding immediately after section 25 the following:
Appointment of officers
25.1 (1) The minister may appoint officers who shall exercise the powers and perform the duties that are conferred or imposed upon them by this Act or the regulations or assigned to them by the minister.
(2) An officer appointed under subsection (1) has and may exercise within a reserve, a provisional reserve or an emergency reserve the power and authority of a member of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary for the purpose of this Act.
3. Subsection 26(1) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
26. (1) A person who contravenes this Act or the regulations is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction
(a) in the case of a natural person,
(i) for a first offence, to a fine not exceeding $5,000 and not less than $200 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 60 days,
(ii) for a second offence, to a fine not exceeding $10,000 and not less than $500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 120 days, and
(iii) for a third or subsequent offence, to a fine not less than $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months and not less than one month; and
(b) in the case of a corporation,
(i) for a first offence, to a fine not less than $5,000,
(ii) for a second offence, to a fine not less than $10,000, and
(iii) for a third or subsequent offence, to a fine not less than $20,000.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer