This is an official version.
Copyright © 2002: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2002
AN ACT TO AMEND THE HIGHWAY
(Assented to December 19, 2002)
1. S. 176.1 Added
2. Sch. Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding immediately after section 176 the following:
Use of hand-held cellular phones prohibited
176.1 (1) In this section
(a) "cellular phone" means an apparatus which can send and receive 2 way voice telecommunications without the aid of a wire or cord, except where that wire or cord is used as a power source, and excludes a 2 way radio device; and
(b) "hand-held cellular phone" means a cellular phone the use of which requires being placed in proximity to the mouth and ear by being held in the hand or by another means that uses one or more parts of the body, but does not include a cellular phone that is equipped with and used with an external speaker or ear phone and microphone that may stand alone, be mounted in the vehicle, or worn on the body.
(2) A person shall not use a hand-held cellular phone while driving a motor vehicle on a highway.
(3) A person who uses a hand-held cellular phone contrary to subsection (2) is guilty of an offence.
2. The Schedule to the Act is amended by adding immediately after the row and columns referring to subsection "176(4)" the following:
3. This Act shall come into force on a day to be proclaimed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer