This is an official version.
Copyright © 2005: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2005
AN ACT TO AMEND THE LABRADOR INUIT LAND CLAIMS AGREEMENT ACT
(Assented to May 19, 2005)
1. S.2 Amdt.
2. S.8.1 Added
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Section 2 of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement Act is repealed and the following substituted:
2. (1) In this Act
(a) "Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement" means the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement signed on behalf of the Inuit of Labrador as represented by the Labrador Inuit Association, Her Majesty the Queen in right of Newfoundland and Labrador and Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada as set out in the Schedule attached to this Act and includes amendments made to that Agreement; and
(b) "Tax Treatment Agreement" means the Labrador Inuit Tax Treatment Agreement made between Her Majesty in right of Canada, Her Majesty in right of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Inuit of Labrador and signed on behalf of Canada on April 12, 2005, on behalf of Newfoundland and Labrador on March 24, 2005 and on behalf of the Inuit of Labrador on March 15, 2005 and amendments made to it.
(2) Unless the context indicates otherwise, a word or term used in this Act shall have the same meaning as that word or term as defined in the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement.
2. The Act is amended by adding immediately after section 8 the following:
Tax Treatment Agreement
8.1 (1) The Tax Treatment Agreement is ratified, given effect and declared valid and has the force of law during the period that it is in effect.
(2) The Tax Treatment Agreement does not form a part of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement and is not a treaty or a land claims agreement within the meaning of sections 25 and 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982.
3. This Act shall come into force on the date of the coming into force of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement Act.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer