This is an official version.
Copyright © 2009: Queen's Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2009
AN ACT TO AMEND THE OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY ACT
1. S.2 Amdt.
Ss.5.1 and 5.2 Added
5. CNLR 1164/96 Rep.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Section 2 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (k) the following:
(k.1) "supervisor" means a person authorized or designated by an employer to exercise direction and control over workers of the employer;
2. The Act is amended by adding immediately after section 5 the following:
Supervisors’ general duty
5.1 A supervisor shall ensure, where it is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of all workers under his or her supervision.
Specific duties of supervisors
5.2 A supervisor shall
(a) advise workers under his or her supervision of the health or safety hazards that may be met by them in the workplace;
(b) provide proper written or oral instructions regarding precautions to be taken for the protection of all workers under his or her supervision; and
(c) ensure that a worker under his or her supervision uses or wears protective equipment, devices or other apparel that this Act, the regulations or the worker’s employer requires to be used or worn.
3. Section 61 of the Act is repealed.
4. Paragraph 65(1)(w) of the Act is amended by deleting the words "and the safe use of electricity".
CNLR 1164/96 Rep.
5. The Occupational Health and Safety Electrical and Fisheries Advisory Committees Regulations, Consolidated Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 1164/96, is repealed.
6. This Act comes into force on the day the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, 2009 come into force.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer