This is an official version.
Copyright © 2012: Queen's Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2012
AN ACT TO AMEND THE PROVINCIAL COURT ACT, 1991
(Assented to June 27, 2012)
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Subsection 5.2(7) of the Provincial Court Act, 1991 is repealed and the following substituted:
(7) The Lieutenant-Governor in Council shall not remove a person from the panel appointed under subsection (1) except
(a) upon the written request of the person to the chief judge;
(b) upon the person reaching the age of 70 years;
(c) upon the order of the adjudication tribunal under paragraphs 25.1(2)(d) or 25.2(3)(d); or
(d) upon the death of the person.
2. (1) Subsection 16(5) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(5) Each member appointed under paragraphs (2)(a) to (c)
(a) shall serve for 3 years during good behaviour; and
(b) unless dismissed for lack of good behaviour, shall continue to hold office until he or she is reappointed or a new member is appointed.
(2) Subsection 16(5.1) is repealed and the following substituted:
(5.1) Where the bencher appointed under paragraph (2)(a) is unable to attend a meeting or is unable to serve as a member of the judicial council, an alternate bencher selected by the benchers of the law society may attend the meeting or serve in his or her place.
3. Subsection 24(2) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(2) The chairperson of the judicial complaints panel shall appoint a judge appointed to the panel under paragraph 20(1)(b) to be the chairperson of that adjudication tribunal.
4. Section 25.5 of the Act is amended by deleting the reference "23(2)" and substituting the reference "23(4)".
5. Subsection 31(4) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(4) Upon receipt of a copy of an order issued under subsection (3), the Minister of Finance shall pay the money and interest set out in the order from the Consolidated Revenue Fund to the appropriate person.