This is an official version.
Copyright © 2013: Queen's Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2013
AN ACT TO AMEND THE HIGHWAY
(Assented to December 10, 2013)
2. Sch. Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding immediately after section 121 the following:
Stopped emergency or designated vehicle
121.1 (1) Upon approaching an emergency vehicle or a designated vehicle that is stopped in a lane or on the edge or along the shoulder of the roadway, the driver of a vehicle travelling in the same direction shall take the safety precautions set out in subsection (2).
(2) The driver shall
(a) reduce speed and, if necessary, stop;
(b) pass the emergency vehicle or designated vehicle only if it is safe to do so; and
(c) change lanes if there is another lane for travelling in the same direction, or otherwise place as much distance as possible in the same lane between his or her vehicle and the emergency vehicle or designated vehicle, only if it is safe to do so.
(3) The reference in subsection (1) to an emergency vehicle or designated vehicle is a reference to an emergency vehicle or designated vehicle that has flashing or rotational lights activated or other warning or safety signs or equipment in use.
(4) In this section, "designated vehicle" means
(a) a tow truck or other roadside assistance vehicle;
(b) a search and rescue vehicle;
(c) a public utility vehicle;
(d) a municipal, provincial or federal enforcement or service vehicle;
(e) a vehicle used by a volunteer fire fighter or emergency medical responder in the course of responding to an emergency; or
(f) a vehicle operated under the authority of a government emergency organization in the course of responding to an emergency.
2. The Schedule to the Act is amended by adding immediately after the row starting with a reference to section 121 the following:
3. This Act comes into force 3 months after the day on which it receives Royal Assent.