This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT RESPECTING THE CENSORING OF MOVING PICTURES
1. This Act may be cited as the Censoring of Moving Pictures Act.
RSN1970 c30 s1Back to Top
Board of censors
2. (1) The Lieutenant-Governor in Council may appoint a board consisting of 3 persons, to be called the board of censors.
(2) A majority of members of the board of censors shall be a quorum.
RSN1970 c30 s2Back to Top
3. (1) The board of censors, or a member of the board, may enter a building or place where an exhibition of moving pictures is carried on for the purpose of inspecting and passing upon the fitness for public exhibition of a moving or stationary picture, films or slides used or displayed in that building or place.
(2) A person hindering or obstructing a member of the board of censors in the performance of his or her duty under subsection (1)shall on summary conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding $100, or, in default of payment, to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 2 months.
RSN1970 c30 s3Back to Top
4. (1) A quorum of the members of the board of censors present at an exhibition may, by oral or written notification to the proprietor of that exhibition or to the person operating the projection machine at the exhibition, summarily prohibit the exhibition of a moving or stationary picture, film or slide which they consider to be injurious to the morals of the public, or against the public welfare, or offensive to the public.
(2) The proprietor or operator exhibiting a film or slide referred to in subsection (1) after the receipt of the notification, is guilty of an offence against this Act, and is liable on summary conviction, for each offence, to a fine not exceeding $100, or, in default of payment, to imprisonment for a period not exceeding 2 months.
RSN1970 c30 s4
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer