This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT RESPECTING THE RESETTLEMENT OF CERTAIN AREAS OF THE PROVINCE
1. This Act may be cited as the Evacuated Communities Act.
RSN1970 c114 s1Back to Top
2. In this Act
(a) "minister" means the Minister of Development;
(b) "order" means an order made under section 3;
(c) "permit" means a permit issued under section 4; and
(d) "vacated community" means a community the remaining inhabitants of which have moved from the community with financial or other assistance from the province.
RSN1970 c114 s2; 1973 No38 Sch; 1979 c49 Sch B; 1989 c22 Sch BBack to Top
Power to make order
3. (1) The minister may by order declare a community to be a vacated community.
(2) An order made under subsection (1) shall have effect from the date of publication in the Gazette or from the earlier or later date that may be specified in the order.
RSN1970 c114 s3Back to Top
Permit to construct or occupy
4. The minister may issue a permit in writing to a person for the purpose of constructing or occupying a building in a vacated community.
RSN1970 c114 s4Back to Top
Permit to build and occupy
5. A person shall not erect a building or occupy a building which he or she erects or another building in a vacated community except under a permit and except for the purposes named in the permit, and in accordance with the terms and conditions printed on the permit or to which the permit may be made subject.
RSN1970 c114 s5Back to Top
6. (1) The minister may make regulations
(a) prescribing the form of permit;
(b) prescribing the purposes for which a permit may be issued;
(c) prescribing the terms and conditions which may be printed on the permit or to which the permit may be made subject; and
(d) generally, to give effect to the purpose of this Act
and different regulations may be made in respect of different vacated communities or in respect of the same vacated community in different circumstances.
(2) Regulations made under subsection (1) may be made with retroactive effect.
RSN1970 c114 s6Back to Top
7. A person who
(a) builds or occupies a building in a vacated community without a permit;
(b) builds or occupies a building in a vacated community for a purpose other than that named in a permit; or
(c) builds or occupies a building in a vacated community except in accordance with the terms and conditions printed on or to which a permit may be made subject
is guilty of an offence and liable upon summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $200 and in default of payment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or to both a fine and imprisonment.
RSN1970 c114 s7
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer