This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT RESPECTING THE EXHUMATION OR REMOVAL OF DEAD BODIES
1. This Act may be cited as the Exhumation Act.
RSN1970 c119 s1Back to Top
Licence to remove body
2. A person shall not remove a body, or the remains of a body interred in a place of burial, except under a licence signed by the Minister of Justice, and with precautions which may be prescribed by the Minister of Health.
RSN1970 c119 s2Back to Top
Freedom from penalty
3. (1) A licence shall name the body or remains to be removed and the person or public body who has charge and control of the exhumation or removal of the body or remains.
(2) A person or public body acting under the licence referred to in section 2, and the employees or agents of that person or public body are not liable to a penalty that would otherwise attach to the removal of the body or remains.
RSN1970 c119 s3Back to Top
Licence in general terms
4. Where a body of an unknown person or a number of bodies are removed from one place of burial to another, the licence may be expressed in general terms without naming the particular body or bodies to be removed.
RSN1970 c119 s4Back to Top
5. A person who removes a body or the remains of a body contrary to this Act, or who neglects to observe the instructions prescribed by the Minister of Health under section 2, is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $50.
RSN1970 c119 s2; 1979 c38 s7
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer