This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT RESPECTING THE DIRECTION OF INTERGOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS IN THE PROVINCE
1. This Act may be cited as the Intergovernmental Affairs Act.
1975 No10 s1Back to Top
2. In this Act
(a) "intergovernmental agreement" means an agreement between the Crown in right of the province and 1 or more of the Crown in right of Canada, the Crown in right of another province and another sovereign government;
(b) "minister" means the minister designated by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council to direct the administration of the secretariat;
(c) "secretariat" means the secretariat referred to in section 3; and
(d) "sovereign government" includes the Government of Canada, the government of each of the provinces and territories of Canada, and the government of a foreign country or state.
1975 No10 s2Back to Top
3. The Intergovernmental Affairs Secretariat to the Executive Council which functions in addition to the other secretariats to the council is continued.
1975 No10 s3Back to Top
4. (1) The secretariat shall operate under the direction of the minister of the Crown to whom it is entrusted by order of the Lieutenant-Governor in Council.
(2) In exercising the powers and discharging the duties conferred or imposed on the minister by this Act, the minister shall act under the style of office of the "Minister for Intergovernmental Affairs".
1975 No10 s4Back to Top
Deputy minister and staff
5. (1) The Lieutenant-Governor in Council may appoint an officer called the Deputy Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs who shall be the deputy head of the secretariat and shall hold office during pleasure.
(2) The deputy minister of the secretariat shall perform those duties and functions that may be assigned to the deputy minister by the minister.
(3) Other officers and employees who are necessary for the proper conduct of the business of the secretariat shall be appointed in the manner authorized by law.
1975 No10 s5; 1981 c4 s50Back to Top
6. The minister
(a) is responsible for the co-ordination of all policies, programs and activities of the government of the province and its agencies in relation to a sovereign government and its agencies;
(b) shall conduct a continuing review of
(i) all policies, programs and activities of the government of the province and its agencies in relation to a sovereign government and its agencies,
(ii) all intergovernmental agreements, and
(iii) all relevant legislation pertaining to those policies, programs, activities and agreements;
(c) shall be a party to the negotiation of all proposed intergovernmental agreements; and
(d) shall take the action that the minister considers necessary to initiate or maintain intergovernmental co-operation between the government of the province and a sovereign government.
1975 No10 s6Back to Top
7. Notwithstanding another Act or law, every intergovernmental agreement shall, before it is executed, be submitted to the minister, and except an agreement in respect of which the Lieutenant-Governor in Council by order directs otherwise, every intergovernmental agreement shall be signed by the minister as well as the minister administering the department of the government of the province to which it relates, and an intergovernmental agreement which is not executed in accordance with this section is not binding on the province or an agency or official of the province.
1975 No10 s7
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer