This is an official version.
Copyright © 2000: Queens Printer,
Revised Statutes of Newfoundland 1990
AN ACT RESPECTING STANDARD TIME AND DAYLIGHT TIME IN THE PROVINCE
1. This Act may be cited as the Standard Time Act.
RSN1970 c270 s1Back to Top
2. (1) Time in the province shall be reckoned as 3 1/2 hours later than Greenwich mean solar time.
(2) Time reckoned in accordance with subsection (1) shall be known as "Newfoundland Standard Time".
RSN1970 c270 s2Back to Top
3. (1) During the period in each year between 1 minute after 12 a.m. of the 1st Sunday in April and 1 minute after 12 a.m. of the last Sunday in October time in the province shall be reckoned as 2 1/2 hours later than Greenwich mean solar time.
(2) Time reckoned in accordance with subsection (1) shall be known as "Newfoundland Daylight Time".
RSN1970 c270 s3; 1987 c3 s1Back to Top
4. Notwithstanding sections 2 and 3, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) varying the reckoning of Newfoundland Standard Time and Newfoundland Daylight Time;
(b) prescribing the application of Newfoundland Standard Time and Newfoundland Daylight Time to the whole province or to a part or portion of the province;
(c) prescribing, where necessary, the application of a time zone other than Newfoundland Standard Time to a part or portion of the province; and
(d) generally, to give effect to the purpose of this Act.
1987 c3 s2Back to Top
Expressions relating to time
(a) an expression of time reckoned or to be reckoned in the province occurs in
(i) an Act, proclamation, order of the Lieutenant-Governor in Council, regulation, order, rule, rule or order of a court, by-law, resolution or other enactment, or
(ii) an agreement, contract, deed, lease or other instrument previously or later enacted, made or executed;
(b) an hour or other period of time is stated either orally or in writing; or
(c) a question as to time arises,
the time referred to or intended shall, unless it is otherwise specifically expressed, be held to be time reckoned as prescribed by this Act.
RSN1970 c270 s4
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer