House of Assembly Management Commission
Rule Amendment - Taxis
|To:||Members of the House of Assembly|
|From:||Clerk of the House of Assembly|
|Date:||December 10, 2007|
|Subject:||Rule Amendment - Taxis|
Taxis are not included as a permissible mode of travel under subsection 40 (1) of the Members’ Resources Allowances and Rules. The addition of taxis as a permissible means of travel requires an amendment to a rule and not an interpretive directive by the House of Assembly Management Commission. The authority for an amendment respecting allowances falls under subsection 15(5) and section 64 of the House of Assembly Accountability, Integrity and Administration Act. The procedure is as follows:
- A draft of the proposed amendment must be prepared.
- The draft amendment must be tabled before a Management Commission meeting
- Notice of the tabling must be:
- The draft amendment and notice must be posted on the House of Assembly website.
- The draft amendment must be voted upon at a subsequent meeting of the Management Commission.
- The approved amendment is signed by the Speaker and forwarded to the Legislative Council Office for preparation for Gazetting.
- The rule is returned for the signature of the Speaker and is then Gazetted through the Legislative Council Office.
(a) given by the Speaker to the House of Assembly if in session; OR
(b) given to every MHA if the House of Assembly is not in session
Subsection 40(1) of the Members’ Resources and Allowances Rules is amended (a) at paragraph (d) by deleting the word “and”;The draft amendment will be posted on the House of Assembly website and voted on at the next meeting of the Commission, scheduled for December 17, 2007. The rule will become effective on the date it is Gazetted. The Act does not provide for the retroactive application of amendments to rules.
(b) at paragraph (e) by deleting the period and substituting a semicolon and the word “and”; and
(c) by adding immediately after paragraph (e) the following “(f) taxis.”