House of Assembly Management Commission
Draft Rule Amendments
Under Subsection 15(5) of the House of Assembly Accountability, Integrity and Accountability Act, the process for amending Rules which add to the levels of allowances must follow the steps outlined below:
The following draft amendments to the Membersí Resources and Allowances Rules were approved in draft form at the April 11, 2008 meeting of the House of Assembly Management Commission and the draft amendments were tabled by the Speaker in the House of Assembly on April 14, 2008. The text of all amendments is subject to final drafting of the subordinate legislation by the Office of Legislative Counsel.
- a draft of the amendment is tabled at a meeting of the Commission.
- notice to and reading of the draft shall be given in the House of Assembly (when in session) and posted on the House website.
- the draft must be voted on at a subsequent meeting of the Commission.
- the Office of Legislative Counsel will prepare the final version for publishing in the Newfoundland and Labrador Gazette as subordinate legislation, upon which date the Rule becomes effective.
- Respecting Temporary Accommodations:
Subparagraphs 31(1)(b)(i), 33(b)(i), 35(b)(i) and Paragraph 38(2)(b) are repealed and the following is substituted:
"the actual cost of temporary standard room accommodations, with receipts, for every night the accommodations are actually occupied by the member"Subparagraphs 32(2)(b)(i), 36(2)(b)(i) and 37(b)(i) are repealed and the following substituted:
"the actual cost of temporary standard room accommodations in the constituency for every night actually spent in the constituency"(The effect of these draft amendments would be to remove the $125 daily maximum currently applied and to instead permit actual costs of a standard room to be reimbursed.)
- Respecting Private Accommodations: Subparagraphs 31(1)(b)(ii), 32(2)(b)(ii), 33(b)(ii), 35(b)(ii), 36(2)(b)(ii), 37(b)(ii) and paragraph 38 (2)(b) are amended by deleting the amount of "$25" and substituting the amounts and words "$53 on the island and $71 in Labrador". (The effect of this draft amendment would be to increase the daily reimbursable amount for private accommodation expenses from the current $25.)
- Respecting Maximum number of nights allowable when the House is not in session: Paragraphs 35(b), 36(2)(b) and 37(b) are amended by deleting the number "35" and substituting the number "50". (The effect of this draft amendment would be to increase to 50 the annual number of accommodation nights to be reimbursed when the House is not in session.)
- Respecting Meal per diems while traveling to/from the Capital Region: Subsection 31(2) is amended by deleting the word, brackets and letter "or (c)". (The effect of this draft amendment would be to permit meal per diems when a Member is traveling to/from the Capital Region.)
April 14, 2008