This is an official version.
Copyright © 2013: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Members' Resources and Allowances Rules
(Filed April 25, 2013)
Under the authority of subsections 15(5) and 20(7) and section 64 of the House of Assembly Accountability, Integrity and Administration Act, as tabled before the House of Assembly Management Commission on March 20, 2013 and tabled in the House of Assembly on March 27, 2013, and further to a resolution adopted by the House of Assembly on April 18, 2013 and as approved by the House of Assembly Management Commission on April 23, 2013, the House of Assembly Management Commission makes the following rules.
SNL2007 cH-10.01 Sch. as amended
1. Section 10 of the Members' Resources and Allowances Rules is amended by adding immediately after subsection (2) the following:
(2.1) Subsection (2) does not apply to an allowance claimed under subsection 19(4).
2. (1) Subsections 18(2) and (3) of the Rules are repealed and the following substituted:
(2) A member is entitled to the constituency office accommodation expenses described in subsection 19(1).
(3) The maximum allowance available to a member for office operations and supplies is $12,000.
(2) Subsection 18(4) of the Rules is repealed.
3. Subsection 19(1) of the Rules is amended by deleting the words and reference "allowance referred to in paragraph 18(2)(a)" and substituting the words and reference "expenses referred to in subsection 18(2)".
4. Subsection 20(7) of the Rules is repealed.
5. The Rules are amended by adding immediately after section 33 the following:
Commuting from outside capital region
33.1 (1) Notwithstanding sections 31 and 33, a member whose permanent residence is outside the capital region at a distance greater than commuting distance may opt to travel between that residence and the capital region each day that the House of Assembly is in session and sitting and may claim the actual transportation cost of each daily return trip.
(2) A member who opts to claim an actual transportation cost for a day under subsection (1) cannot claim for costs described in paragraphs 31(1)(b) and (c) and 33(b) and (c).
(3) This section shall apply only to members who represent the districts of
(b) Carbonear - Harbour Grace;
(f) Port de Grave; and
(g) Trinity - Bay de Verde.
6. Subsection 38(3) of the Rules is repealed and the following substituted:
(3) The maximum amount in respect of an electoral district for which a member who represents that district may claim in a fiscal year for intra-constituency travel is the amount set out in Schedule A.
7. The Rules are amended by adding immediately after section 38 the following:
38.1 (1) Where less expensive travel is not available, a member from a district listed in Schedule B may, with the prior approval of the Speaker, be reimbursed for the cost of helicopter travel while acting on constituency business within his or her constituency.
(2) The maximum amount which a member may claim in a fiscal year for intra-constituency travel under this section is the amount set out in Schedule B.
8. Subsection 46(3) of the Rules is amended by adding immediately after paragraph (e.1) the following:
(e.2) the expenses of renting short term accommodation in one or more locations in the member's constituency to facilitate travel of the member throughout the district to meet with residents on constituency issues;
9. The Schedule to the Rules is repealed and the following substituted: