This is an official version.
Copyright ©2017: Queen's Printer,
Newfoundland and Labrador
Members' Resources and Allowances Rules
(Filed March 31, 2017)
Under the authority of subsection 20(7) and section 64 of the House of Assembly Accountability, Integrity and Administration Act, as approved by the House of Assembly Management Commission on March 15, 2017 and further to a resolution adopted by the House of Assembly on March 30, 2017, the House of Assembly Management Commission makes the following rules.
SNL2007 cH-10.01 Sch. as amended
1. Section 38 of the Members' Resources and Allowances Rules is amended by adding immediately after subsection 2 the following:
(2.1) Notwithstanding paragraph (2)(a), a member who represents the district of Corner Brook or a district in the capital region may elect to receive the sum of $200 per month for an entire fiscal year in lieu of receiving the cost of transportation referred to in that paragraph provided that
(a) the election is made before April 1 of the fiscal year to which the election applies; and
(b) the $200 per month shall be a taxable benefit to the member.
2. The Rules are amended by adding immediately after section 40 the following:
Taxable accommodation allowance: capital region
40.1 (1) Notwithstanding paragraphs 31(1)(b), 32(2)(b), 33(b), 35(b), 36(2)(b) and 37(b), not fewer than 30 days before the commencement of a fiscal year, a member entitled to accommodation costs in the capital region may elect to receive a lump sum amount for temporary or private accommodation in the capital region in lieu of receiving the accommodation costs referred to in those paragraphs.
(2) An election made by a member under subsection (1) is
(a) for the fiscal year immediately following that election; and
(b) a taxable benefit of that member.
(3) A lump sum received under this section shall be an amount that is calculated by multiplying the number of sitting days for the fiscal year as stated in the parliamentary calendar by the average daily cost of all member accommodation under the paragraphs referred to in subsection (1) for the previous calendar year.
(4) If a member who has elected to receive a lump sum amount under this section leaves office before the end of the fiscal year to which the lump sum applies, the balance of the amount of that sum shall be repaid to the House of Assembly on a pro rata basis.
3. These rules come into force on April 1, 2017.