This is an official version.
Copyright © 2001: Queens Printer,
Statutes of Newfoundland and Labrador 2001
AN ACT TO AMEND THE SCHOOLS ACT, 1997
(Assented to May 24, 2001)
1. S.55 Rep.
2. S.65 Amdt.
3. S.79 Amdt.
Be it enacted by the Lieutenant-Governor and House of Assembly in Legislative Session convened, as follows:
1. Section 55 of the Schools Act, 1997 is repealed.
2. Subsection 65(3) of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
(3) A board shall not, in a fiscal year, incur, contract for or become liable for an expenditure or debt
(a) unless the annual fiscal budget for that fiscal year has first been approved, in writing, by the minister; and
(b) that is more than the estimated expenditures or debt set out in its annual budget or substantially changes the manner in which an expenditure will be made, except with the prior written approval of the minister.
3. (1) Subsection 79(2) of the Act is amended by adding immediately after the word "for" the words "not more than".
(2) Section 79 of the Act is amended by adding immediately after subsection (3) the following:
(4) Notwithstanding that a board may employ a director or an assistant director under this section, a contract of employment between a board and a director or an assistant director shall not be entered into without the prior written approval of that contract by the minister, and a contract of employment entered into without that approval shall be void.
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer