This is an official version.
Copyright © 2006: Queens Printer,
Highway Traffic Snow Clearing Regulations
Under the authority of section 187 of the Highway Traffic Act and the Subordinate Legislation Revision and Consolidation Act , the Lieutenant-Governor in Council makes the following regulations.
1. These regulations may be cited as the Highway Traffic Snow Clearing Regulations .
2. (1) Subject to any Act or regulation in force respecting the parking, drawing up or standing of vehicles in a city, municipality or other designated area of the province, a person shall not, during the period in each year that this regulation is in force, leave a vehicle unattended on a highway between the hours of 12 midnight and 8 a.m.
(a) within 3 metres of the paved portion of the highway; or
(b) if the highway is not paved, within 3 metres of the edge of the travel surface of the highway.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a medical practitioner engaged in urgent medical business.
3. A person in charge of a vehicle who leaves the vehicle unattended in contravention of section 2 is guilty of an offence under the Act.
4. For the purpose of subsection 187(3) of the Highway Traffic Act , the fact that there has been a failure to comply with section 2 may, notwithstanding that no prosecution is taken under section 3, be relied upon by a party to a civil proceeding as tending to
(a) negate liability for damages claimed by the person who so failed to comply or the owner of the vehicle so left unattended; or
(b) establish liability for damages against that person or the owner of the vehicle.
5. These regulations have effect from December 1 in each year to May 1 in the year immediately following that year.
The Highway Traffic (Snow Clearing) Regulations, 1989,
©Earl G. Tucker, Queen's Printer