This is an official version.
Copyright © 2018: Queens Printer,
Department of Industry, Trade and Rural Development Notice
(Filed July 18, 2003)
Under the authority of section 5 of the Executive Council Act, the Clerk of the Executive Council gives the following Notice.
This Notice may be cited as the Department of Industry, Trade and Rural Development Notice.
2. In this Notice
(a) "department" means the Department of Industry, Trade and Rural Development; and
(b) "minister" means the Minister of Industry, Trade and Rural Development.
Department restructured and reconstituted
3. (1) The department is restructured and reconstituted by Order in Council 2002-319 and Order in Council 2003-372 and the department is presided over by the minister.
(2) The department has 3 branches, as follows:
(a) Trade and Investment – Jobs and Growth;
(b) Regional Operations; and
(c) Strategic Industries and Regional Development.
Powers and duties of the minister
4. The powers, functions and duties of the minister include the supervision, control and direction of all matters relating to
(a) the creation and maintenance of a competitive economic environment that encourages and supports private sector business growth and long term sustainable employment opportunities for the people of the province;
(b) the diversification of the economy on a provincial and regional basis, with particular attention to rural areas;
(c) the promotion and encouragement of increased trade in and exports of goods and services by provincial industries and businesses in the national and international marketplace;
(d) the attraction of new business enterprises and industries to the province;
(e) the creation of a climate conducive to innovation in business through the facilitation of research and development, technology transfer and technology commercialization within provincial industries and individual business enterprises;
(f) the provision of business information, counselling and financial support programs and services to small and medium sized enterprises, including private businesses, co-operatives, credit unions and community development corporations, to stimulate economic and employment development within the province;
(g) promoting the value of an enterprise culture and encouraging economic self-reliance throughout the province;
(h) the negotiation and administration of federal/provincial economic development co-operation agreements; and
(i) the administration of the Acts set out in the Schedule and of all orders and regulations passed or made under those Acts, including those powers, functions or duties necessary or desirable for carrying out the purpose of those Acts,
which are not, or in so far as they are not, the responsibility of another minister, agency, body, corporation, board, organization or person.
5. The Department of Industry, Trade and Technology Notice, Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 66/96, and the Department of Development and Rural Renewal Notice , Newfoundland and Labrador Regulation 58/96, are repealed.
1. Business Investment Corporation Act
2. Economic Diversification and Growth Enterprises Act
3. Industries Act
4. Research Council Act